Services | Borrowing
To borrow materials from the Library’s physical collection please make sure that you have an up-to-date StMU Card. StMU students, faculty and staff can borrow as many items as they wish from St Mary’s Library. The majority of items in the physical collection have a 2 week loan period with unlimited renewals, unless another STMU user puts a hold on the item. However, some items have a shorter loan period:
- Course Reserves — 2 hours, 1 day or 3 days;
- Videos (AV) — 3 Days;
- General Reserve items — 3 days ;
- Special Collection items — 2 hours;
- AV equipment (headphones, phone chargers etc.) — 2 hours.
PLEASE NOTE that there are fine charges for items not returned on time.
All library users must have a current & valid StMU ID card to access library services as well as print and online resources. Your StMU ID card is your Library Card. If you do not have one, please make an appointment at the main office of the Administration Building to get one. For information borrowing privileges please consult the policy on Borrowing Library Materials.
- Most students will get an ID card during orientation, however if you missed the orientation, you can make an appointment at the St Mary’s Main Office (Administration Building) to get your ID Card;
- To activate your StMU Card please come to the Information Desk in the Library;
- To renew books online and place holds, on material that other people have checked out, you will need to set up a PIN in the Library;
- You can borrow materials from other libraries with your St Mary’s Library Card.
The Library catalogue system allows you to review online your account details as well as renew materials. Once you have an StMU Card and PIN you can check your library account and renew your items online by logging into “My Account” through the online catalogue.
- Starting at the Library Website click on “renew my books” to access “My Account”;
- Select “Review my Account” to check what items you have out and renew your items;
- Select “User PIN Change” to change your 4 digit PIN to a more secure PIN;
- If you forget your PIN come to the Library Information Desk to select a new one.
You can renew your materials in person at our Information Desk, online through My Account, by email or by phone. Reminder notices are sent to your email address 3 Days prior to your items being due; this allows you time to renew your items before they are past the due date.
- The date that each item is due back to the Library is stamped in the item;
- Make sure to keep your email up to date so notices reach you in time to renew or return the materials you have checked out;
- Fine charges for items not returned by the due date will be assessed:
- $1.00/ day for most items;
- $1.00/ hour for 2 Hour Loans.
- If the total sum of fines on your account reach $10.00 or more, then you will need to return the overdue items and you will NOT be able to renew them.
- For more information on overdue notices & library fines please consult the Library Policy.
If you would like to use Library materials that are currently checked out on loan, then you are permitted to place a hold on it. Only items currently out can be placed on hold.
- Once you have selected the title you want in the catalogue that has the message “no copies currently available”, select “Place Hold” and fill in your “User ID” which is your 12 digit barcode from your library card. Then fill in your 4 digit PIN;
- The person who has the material that you need will have a minimum of 2 weeks with the material before they have to return the items placed on hold;
- After the 2 week time period the item can be recalled from the person and they will not be able to renew the item on hold;
- The Library will notify you by email when your holds are ready for you to sign out.
St Mary’s library students, faculty and staff can also borrow books from other libraries in the SAIL consortium. This includes: Ambrose University, Bow Valley College (BVC) and the University of Calgary. Before going to another SAIL library, please check at the Library’s Information Desk to make sure that your StMU Card is valid and current to ensure you have borrowing access.
Accessing the University of Calgary Library Collection
To access University of Calgary books that are located in the High Density Library (HDL), please fill out & submit the online request form. A hold will be placed on the item and an you will receive an email notification when your item is available. The requested item must be picked up at the University of Calgary’s Taylor Family Digital Library (TFDL). Or, you can call 403-220-5963 to place a hold on “HDL” items. [more information on accessing the UofC Library materials].
Public Computers @ the University of Calgary
Public computers within the TFDL do not allow open public access to University of Calgary computing resources. Due to IT restrictions, anyone who wishes to use a public computer in the TFDL will require an IT username and password to log on to the machines and use the resources on them. To register for a username and password, members of the public must present their ID to the Student Navigators on the 2nd floor of the TFDL.
Libraries in Alberta
Other libraries across Alberta lend materials to any person with a TAL Card. In Calgary these libraries include: Mount Royal University (MRU), SAIT, and Calgary Public Library.
get a TAL card
The Alberta Library Card (TAL Card) allows people to borrow materials from participating libraries across Alberta. You may have up to 5 books on loan at any time from each library and may be able to renew the books.
- Get a TAL Card at the Information Desk in the Library;
- There is no charge for the TAL Card, just fill out an application;
- You must be a St Mary’s student or be an employee of St Mary’s to qualify for the library to issue you the card.