The Gerry & Anna Maier Special Collections Reading Room
- Hereford Mappa Mundi facscimile
At 1.34 metres (5’2” by 4’4”), the original map is constructed on a single sheet of vellum (calf skin). Scholars believe it was made around the year 1300 and shows the history, geography and destiny of humanity as it was understood in Christian Europe in the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries.
The Hereford Mappa Mundi was acquired for the St. Basil’s Library through the generous donation of Rev. Brian Hubka.
- Vatican Council II multi-volume set
A rich primary source of the authoritative texts of the four sessions of the Second Vatican Council (1962 – 1965). This resource was recently acquired and has not yet been catalogued.
Reading Room Rules
Due to the delicate nature of the Special Collection materials we ask people using the Reading Room to follow the rules below:
- No food or drink in the room or in bags.
- Leave bags and backpacks on the stand by the front door.
- Use one item at a time.
- Materials must be handled carefully –
- Hands must be washed
- Use gloves provided
- No pens, post-it notes, flags, paper clips, or highlighters
Hours & Appointments
For the Fall/Winter 2019/2020 terms, the Reading Room is open throughout the week at the following times:
Monday – Tuesday 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm Wednesday 8:30 am – 11:00 am Thursday – Friday 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
Please feel free to drop by during opening hours, or book an appointment through Catherine.Carlyle@stmu.ca. You can book an appointment to:
- view specific items in the collection;
- arrange class visit; or
- arrange for an in-class presentation of specific materials.
The last allowable appointment slot of the day is between 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
To apply to display The Saint John’s Bible at an event in your church or community please fill in the SJB Booking Form.